Pros Cons Of Alternative Energy Sources
Due to increasing global energy consumption and diminution of world's non-renewable energy source, using alternative energy sources is a sensible thing to do. But using alternative energy source can be both beneficial and difficult. Let us discuss the pros and cons of alternative energy sources.
General Pros and Cons of Alternative Energy Source
- A major advantage of renewable energy is that it is sustainable and will never run out. More importantly renewable energy produces little or no waste products that may pollute or has harmful effects on the environment.
- Some countries are using renewable energy as alternate source of energy. They are also showing some economic benefits especially in many regional areas. Most of their projects are located away from the urban centers and capital cities. They are able to provide the electricity to regional areas and to increase the use of local services as well as tourism.
Here are the several advantages and disadvantages of alternative energy source.
- Renewable energy is difficult to generate large quantities of electricity similar to that of conventional fossil fuels and the reliability of the energy supply. Since it is naturally generated, renewable energy supply relies on the weather condition.
- It is relatively more expensive to set up the equipment necessary for generating the energy.
- Solar energy - the sun is great source of energy since it is free and efficient. It is possible to use the sun energy to generate electricity that replaces traditional electricity. But there are limitations like places with frequent rains; snow and cloudy weather are not capable of producing efficient sun energy.
- Wind energy - Wind is an efficient and environment friendly source of electricity. Wind energy can replace up to 20 percent of the total electric consumption in the future. There are no harmful gases produced in the process of converting the energy. The location is a very important factor in using wind energy, high latitudes and coast lines are the places for windmills. The big disadvantage of wind energy is that relatively big land area is required to put up sufficient number of windmills to generate enough energy.
- Hydroelectric and tidal energy - Both of this energy come from water. Hydroelectric energy is source of dams. Tidal energy uses natural tides of the ocean. These are another clean way to produce electricity from water. The main disadvantage is that putting up river dams as source of hydroelectric energy is very expensive, while tidal energy source depends much on the ocean. Oceans are unpredictable and there are a few places in the world that are suitable for this kind of energy source. Tidal energy power plants are not good for the migratory birds and fishes.
- Biomass - Biomass energy is generated from animal waste, agricultural crops, grains and other natural products. It can be used to replace gasoline needs. It maximizes waste materials as an alternative energy source. Disadvantage is that it still produces greenhouse gases that pollute the environment.
Alternative energy sources are renewable and still have some disadvantages. But it is effects are smaller than the harmful effects of conventional fuels.
Go To Green Energy Articles
Go Back To Home Page - Solar Gadgets Information from Pros Cons Of Alternative Energy Sources